Pages

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Beginning of the Year Math Cards

More posts than normal this time of the year. I just have so many different things I have done, I can't keep them all to myself! So today I'm talking about number cards. These are cards I have used for years but have only had a hand-drawn version. I finally typed them up so they are nicer looking. One set is black and white, and one is in color (so they look like the red counters). I just added the tens frame model above each word as a clue - I thought I'd spice them up (:  I give each student a copy of these cards and they keep them in their "Math Bag" in their desk. They are a great resource for the beginning of the year! I use them throughout the year for tons of different activities.


Use ideas: 
- Have them put all their cards with the words facing up. The first student shows the word to their partner. Their partner tells them the number, if they get it right, they get to keep the card. If they get it wrong, it goes to the bottom of the pile. Then the second partner does the same to the first partner. Students keep playing until all the cards are gone. Whoever has the most cards wins!

- You can use these with the Kagan strategy "Quiz, Quiz, Trade" and "Hand Up, Stand Up, Pair Up". Each student will get one card. Students will stand up, raise their hand, and find a partner. Then they will take turns showing each other their number words. Once they tell their partner the number, they will trade cards. Then they will raise their hand up and find a new partner and repeat. Students keep playing until time is up.

- Students who finish early can look at the words and put the number cards in order for greatest to least or least to greatest.

-Class Game: Put students into two teams. Put cards in your lap. Hold a card secretly in your hands. Give team one three clues without telling them what number it is. If they are able to guess the number, then their team gets a point. If their team is unable to guess the number or guesses the wrong number, the other team can try to guess the number and steal their point. Continue until all the cards are gone.

There are many more uses for these cards but these are just a few ways I remember using them. I can't wait to use them this year! If you have any other ideas, share them below (:

-OneCrazyS

No comments:

Post a Comment