Pages

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Character and Setting Song


Over the years I have noticed that almost all children in first grade love songs. Not only do they love them, but they remember them better than anything else! I have come up with tons of quick little chants to use in my class that my students sing to help them remember key ideas. I do this for phonics, reading skills, math, and even science. I try to make them short and sweet. Before this year, I never video taped myself doing them. While I am aware that I look somewhat dorky while I do it in class, it is a whole different thing to see your dorkyness on camera! I'm just trying to say whatever to that fact and hope that the chants help someone else's students which would make it all worth it. With all of that being said, I have made a video for my character and setting chant. I am aware of my specialness in this video and had to include my super specialness in the ending (: My students love this chant and we sing it whenever we talk about character and setting. They start to sing it on their own when they hear the words character or setting. Not only did I make this video, I thought it would be good to have some resources to go with it. I have several different character cards (boy, girl, cat, dog, bunny, pig) as well as setting cards (house, outside, underwater, castle, zoo, carnival) for the students to use while they chant along with the video. I have also written 4 days of lesson plans and made materials to go with those plans like posters, chant cards, journal cut-outs, worksheets, and an assessment (with answer keys). I'm hoping my little chants and activities can help your students learn and remember character and setting! I'd love to know if you found this useful (: Over and out.

Get the video pack with cards, lesson plans, activities, worksheets, and assessments
Video Pack HERE

-OneCrazyS

No comments:

Post a Comment